What's New for ECF Users in NextGen?
Federal courts around the country are upgrading to Next Generation (NextGen) CM/ECF, which will allow you to maintain a single login and password for electronic filing and PACER access in all federal courts that have implemented NextGen and to sign in one time to access all NextGen courts in which you have permission to file. The Bankruptcy Court for the District of South Dakota is live on NextGen.
What You Need to Do Now.
1. Do you have your own individual PACER account?
You must have your own individual PACER account, which will be linked to your CM/ECF account once the Court has implemented NextGen. Shared PACER accounts cannot be used by CM/ECF users after the Court has upgraded.
• Instructions for registering for a PACER account
• Register for a PACER account
• Questions regarding PACER accounts should be directed to the PACER Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (800) 676-6856.
2. Have you upgraded your PACER account?
If you have an individual PACER account but it was created prior to August 11, 2014, it will need to be upgraded.
• An upgraded PACER account will have at least eight characters for the username and the Case Search Status will be Active.
• Instructions for upgrading your PACER account
• Upgrade your PACER account
3. Does your firm need a PACER Administrative Account?
Firms can set up a PACER Administrative Account (PAA) to manage all of their user accounts and have central billing for PACER access fees.
• Information regarding PACER Administrative Accounts (PAA)
• Register for a PAA
4. Do you know your current CM/ECF login and password?
This is the login and password used for filing documents. Make note of them before the upgrade to NextGen. If they are stored in your browser, they will be lost and not recoverable except by contacting the Court during business hours.
What You Need to Do When the Court Goes Live on NextGen.
• You must link your upgraded PACER account to your CM/ECF account. You will need your upgraded PACER username and password and your CM/ECF login and password for this process. If you have not obtained your own individual PACER account, or if you have your own individual PACER account but haven't upgraded it, see above.
• How to Link an Upgraded PACER Account to a NextGen CM/ECF Account.
• Need help with your PACER account? E-mail email@example.com or call (800) 676-6856.
• Need help with your CM/ECF account? Contact Shan or Vicky at (605) 945-4460.
• FAQs on PACER website